Last updated on October 26th, 2019
It would be a very dumb choice to ask if you’re serious about table tennis or not. If you weren’t, you wouldn’t be searching for the best ping pong paddle in the first place. Judging from your needs, I’m taking you as a serious table tennis player like myself. So, I will treat you with the same products that I find the best genuinely.
There are like thousands of paddles available to choose from. You could go to any marketplace and search for a product yourself. But why did you choose to read a review first? Because reading a review is the best way to compare and find a compatible product.
I will try my heart and soul to suggest you with the absolute best quality ping pong paddles that are available to buy on the internet. This article will be a proper buying guide. So, after reading it, you will be able to determine and choose the best ping pong paddles all by yourself.
Or if you don’t wish to read the full buying guide, you can just skip to the next paragraph and you can find the best-reviewed and best-selling ping pong paddle of this year. The decision is yours. Want to trust my words? You’re welcome. Want to read the whole comparison and judge all by yourself? You’re welcome as well.
So, the best one to buy according to my comparison will be the STIGA Pro Carbon Performance-Level Table Tennis Racket. It is the best selling paddle on Amazon and many other market places. Because it’s a tournament approved paddle which costs way less than actual tournament level paddles, so buying this won’t be a waste.
Best Ping Pong Paddles
- STIGA Pro Carbon Performance-Level
- STIGA Tournament-Quality Titan
- DHS HURRICANE-II Tournament
- Killerspin JET600
- STIGA Supreme Performance-Level
- Killerspin JET800
- STIGA Evolution
- Killerspin RTG Diamond TC Premium
- JOOLA Spinforce Professional
- Palio Legend 2.0
Take a Quick Look of My Recommendation
STIGA Pro Carbon Performance
STIGA Tournament-Quality Titan
JOOLA Spinforce Professional
Why Do You Have To Choose The Best Paddle For Yourself?
My guess is you know this answer. But some might wonder, “Why do I need the best paddle if I’m just playing to pass my time. Though I’m serious about my game still why would I spend more money?” To answer this question I have to explain why you need a better paddle.
To learn how to play better
Why do we buy better cars? For better comfort, better specifications, better looks and a lot of things. Then again as you, why do I need the best paddle? You will have your answer. That’s because you need the better specification to learn how to be better at this game. If you weren’t serious about your game you wouldn’t waste so much time playing it right? So, try to be better at it with a better paddle.
To make your time Worthwhile
As you’re investing a lot of time to it, it has a time value. You should try to improve yourself and be best at what you do. It’s a great feeling, right? To be best at something. So, make the best use of your time with a paddle that suits you.
Surf Hidden Talents
You might not know how good a ping pong player you can be. So, it’s better to at least prepare yourself to participate in the local tournaments. To do that you have to make yourself ready for them. The best way to do that is by making a new friend for your hand. Buy a ping pong paddle that suits you and explores the hidden talent you have.
How to Choose the Best Ping Pong Paddle for you?
There are many things to consider before buying a ping pong paddle. If you buy without judging, you will feel very uncomfortable at every game and you might lose a serious game between friends or at your local ping pong club. So, do not make a rash decision. Though, we have selected the most optimal one for you to buy in the starting of the article. But if you want to judge, you can. I know I would.
Type of Player
Every paddle has an area of expertise. You can either by a paddle that is good for an offensive game or you can buy the one that’s good for defending. Also, you can buy one with speed or one with more power. So, there are many options in the market. You will know your paddle when you know what type of player you are.
If you’re a beginner then you should go for the paddle which gives attention to more accuracy and control. Being a beginner, if you tend for the ones with power and spin only, your every shot will miss the board. At this stage, you’ll have to be more basics oriented and should be concentrating on correcting your shots. You will have a lot of time to practice speed and spin after you get the hang of it.
Being an intermediate player is more like knowing basics and learning about speed and spin. But at this stage, you cannot just give in the control and accuracy part and jump for the spin and power paddles. You have to have some balance. So, the ideal paddles for intermediates would be that which offers some from everything and has good control.
When you’re far past the intermediate stage, the game to you would be more about style rather than perfection. Because you’ll know your math before taking any shots. It’s all about practice. Now you can go for the speed and spin-oriented paddles and choose a style of your gameplay. Usually, it doesn’t take much time to overcome the first two stages. That’s why we suggested the Stiga carbon pro.
Paddle parts and their effects on the Gameplay
Different paddle parts have different effects on your gameplay. Not all the paddles have the construction. So, it’s very important to understand how the paddle is built and what it offers.
Blade and Handle
The blades usually have 5 layers to 9 layers. Having a different number of layers is sometimes an issue, sometimes not. As the numbers vary, the weight of the paddle varies. Carbon fiber blades are the best ones. But that’s not an important issue about the blade. The real issue is the type of blade.
The blade can be of two types. Rigid and flexible. Rigid blades usually turn the energy towards the ball and add extra power to the shot. On the other hand, flexible blades absorb some of the energy and make the ball travel slower.
There are three types of handles, straight, flared and anatomic. The straight handles don’t have and bumps. They are just straight like arrows. Some prefer these handles because it lets you hand the paddle completely. The flared handle is thicker at the bottom. It’s the most popular one because it prevents from paddles from slipping. The anatomic one is thicker in the middle providing extra grip to the palm and fitting accurately.
Different paddles offer different types of handles so, find the best one that suits you.
Sponge and rubber
The sponge and the rubber are what make your paddle give an extra spin to the balls. This depends on the thickness of the sponge and tackiness of the rubber. If the rubber is soft, the dwell time will increase and it will give the ball a nice spin.
There are only three factors to measure. Speed, spin, and control.
The concept of speed is very obvious. From the perspective of the paddle, if your paddle is fast enough, you will have to input lesser energy. The paddle surface will add the extra power to it. Usually, lighter paddles with thicker sponges and blade layers can make that happen. Slower paddles require more power.
It entirely depends on the quality of the rubber. The sponge is usually the same. If you’re expecting some good spin from your paddle, obviously go for the ones which have their rubbers approved by ITTF. In this way, it’s easier to know about the quality of the rubber.
It entirely depends on the other two qualities. A faster paddle is usually hard to control. Because of the extra power the paddle offers, you have to muster the amount of power you have to input for every single shot. Thus, making it a faster paddle almost impossible to handle by beginners.
On the other hand, paddles that are slow, require extra pressure to be put on from you, they also lack control. But it’s better than the faster ones. The most optimal paddle for control would be that which has optimal speed and spin. Buy the one which has that attribute.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Why does a ping pong paddle have two colors?
A: the paddles have two colors because two sides might have different advantages. For example, if a paddle has a red and a blue side, the red side might have a spin advantage and the blue side might have a speed advantage. They are marked with different colors to know when to use which side.
Q: What makes a good ping pong paddle?
A: Every ping pong paddle has different advantages. The three basic attributes of a ping pong paddle are speed, spin, and control. The best paddle would be that one which has the best-balanced combination of all three attributes.
Q: What are ping pong paddles made of?
A: Ping pong paddles are made using three materials: Wood, rubber, and sponge. Some paddles contain carbon fiber layers in the upper section of the paddle.
Q: How big is a ping pong paddle?
A: The standard size of a ping pong paddle set by the ITTF (International Table Tennis Federation) is 6.7 inches long and 5.9 inches wide.
Q: What do stars mean on ping pong balls?
A: The stars represent the durability of the balls. The one-starred ball is the lowest grade and the three start ball is what you should sue for important matches and competitions.
before you leave check the article on how to make a ping-pong paddle sticky
10 Best Ping Pong Paddle Reviews
STIGA Pro Carbon Performance-Level Table Tennis Racket
A better paddle actually consists of better and sophisticated construction. Usually, tournament approved paddles are made with the best available technology. The STIGA Pro Carbon is actually an intermediate level tournament playable paddle that is a bit high priced than most of the novice level rackets. But it is built for fellows who are serious about their table tennis skills. This is what made this the best seller.
It uses a 7-ply blade with two plies being made of carbon fiber. That makes the paddle more firm and solid but lighter in weight. So, you get a better build with a lighter weight to carry. It is thought that heavier paddles are good for spins, but in this case, the STIGMA Pro Carbon is actually has a rating of 10/10 for spins.
Another factor is the lightweight makes you more agile to take the shots precisely and quick. So, it’s rated 9.9/10 for speed. If you are a player who wants to keep their opponents on the leash rather than playing defensive, this is one hot choice for you.
- Body Specifications &Weight: The paddle’s body figure is 2″ X 6.2″ X 21.5″. It weighs about 8 ounces, which is actually lighter than most other paddles.
- Construction: The construction of this paddle is very sophisticated. The surface of the paddle consists of ITTF (International Table Tennis Federation) approved rubber. Not all the rubbers are approved by them because some rubbers provide extra spring to the paddle. But this one has the perfect spring due to the thin and light double carbon fiber padding.
- Handle: The handle of the paddle is just like professional level paddles. It’s concave and designed to provide extreme comfort to the hand while holding and playing. The comfort at holding is very important for taking perfect shots.
- The surface contains ITTF approved rubber
- Inner layers have carbon fiber plies
- Built for speed and aggressive attacking play
- The surface rubber was reported to have been changed by several people after two months
STIGA Tournament-Quality Titan Table Tennis Racket
This list will go on according to the hierarchy we set down for the best ping pong paddle starting from the best at top. If you don’t find yourself comfortable using the Stiga pro carbon, this is the next best thing to buy. The STIGA Tournament Quality Titan is actually one of the best value to price ratio ping pong paddle. Why? Because it offers a lot of specs that you may not find on other paddles. Let’s go through.
The best part is the blade. It has 5-ply all wooden handle creatively design give it more power than the other paddles within the price range. The rubber it uses it not the most ideal one. So, it was reported to have durability issues.
But you have to cut out something if you want to fit within the budget right? So, if your budget is around its price, you should definitely choose this any day. Otherwise, numero uno is the option.
- Technological Advantage: Though the paddle is not made with the most effective materials, yet it’s a budget-friendly paddle that is made using the same technological way that is used for most of the professional tournament paddles. So, it has its technological edge over other paddles.
- Body Specifications & Weight: Body specs and weight is very important if you take your game seriously. So, this paddle has a total size of 12 X 7 X 3 inches and it weighs about 2 pounds which is very feasible.
- Control and Speed: Due to the lesser weigh that of the same classes, it’s actually a very agile paddle. Usually, it takes a lot to become an agile player, but do practice with this one. It’ll take a lot less time.
- Balanced Performance
- Crystal technology
- ITTF approved rubber
- Design for balance between speed and spin
- Does not use the actual expensive material
DHS HURRICANE-II Tournament Ping Pong Paddle
Now if you’re new to this and want to improve quickly, then DHS Hurricane II would be the best buy for you. Though it’s a bit expensive, it uses the Asian style of gripping, thus giving you an extra edge at first. It can be your regular use paddle.
Usually, paddles those weigh less are often felt to be losing out from hand, but this one has a weight that won’t make you feel you’re holding a rock and also give you more confidence and control while holding it. So, it could be the best paddle to start with indeed if you have the proper budget.
The rubber is slick and designed for better spin. But due to the slickness, it loses its tackiness pretty soon. But it’s nothing that you can’t fix. You can use some of the cleaning techniques that I’ll discuss later in this article.
- Professional-Caliber Model: DHS Hurricane is believed to be a professional caliber paddle. Because most of the professional players depend on the paddles which have better spin because they know how to use that and they have the necessary power to take shots perfectly. The rest is done by the spin. So, buy it and feel like a pro.
- All-rounder Play: The best thing that this paddle doesn’t lack in is what most paddles offer. Most paddles are designed for only one type of game. Aggressive, defensive or tactical. But with this paddle, you can change your game type anytime you want because it has the necessary element which is actually the element of surprise.
- Weight and Balance: The most convincing balanced paddles are usually weighed between 3-3.5 pounds. This one weighs about 3.2 which is actually the ideal weight to play an all-rounder game and improvise anytime you want to.
- Fit for all-around play
- Comes with a Ladson wrist support
- Is graded intermediate quality
- Best fit for spins
- Loses tackiness pretty quicker than other paddles.
Killerspin JET600 Table Tennis Paddle
Want to know which paddle is going to make you feel the most special about yourself? This is the one. Giving you an all classy feeling is what the packaging about. The Killerspin Jet600 comes in a white box which is designed to look expensive and give the paddle a bolder look. The box is actually a shield for the paddle itself because it helps to keep the paddle safe from a journey.
If you have the budget of a Stiga Titan and confused about not buying it, go for this one. Because it is also similar cost with better specs. How?
It uses a better rubber. This keeps it fresher than other company products. Yet it has its demerits. Though Killerspin is reputed to create aggressive equipment, this one is designed for all-round play. So, want to take the game seriously? Get yourself a Killerspin Jet600.
- Build Quality: Reported to be lesser in build quality. Why? Because the rubber doesn’t feel right. Those who have reported don’t know its actual potential. This is a paddle for those who want to have a better spin with a paddle that’s less tacky, giving you the opportunity of a lifetime to play an all-rounder game and improvise if necessary.
- Size and Weight: It has the measurement of 6.1X10 Inches. It weighs about 6.2 ounces. Having less weight gives the edge in agility whereas the less tacky rubber provides better spinning options. So, tactical aggressive gameplay.
- Less Power, More Control: Better speed equals to difficulty in control. So, it has a lesser speed and better control thing. Though the weight might pose a problem. But you can easily overcome the weight thing due to the 5-ply wooden build.
- Great build quality
- Designed to learn basic professional gameplay
- Best choice for serious beginners.
- Personal Memory book and storage case
- Less power is quite an issue
STIGA Supreme Performance-Level Table Tennis Racket
Now we’re getting serious mates because the next paddle is actually a tournament-grade paddle. It has been used in tournaments by professionals because it feels rather more intermediate than some more high priced ones. The light weightiness and the optimal balance of the paddle will make you feel like a professional player.
Same priced paddles are constructed with 5-ply blades where the Stiga supreme is made with 6 ply blades. Stiga has added its tube tech to the middle layer which has drastically reduced the weight. That makes the paddle more agile.
The main problem with this racket is about power. Sometimes players tend to fall back, take their time and take shots with power. But the lightweight is a factor, you can be agile but you have to play a defensive game over an offensive game and hold your ground. Be more tactical with the agility.
- Size and Weight: The measurement of this paddle is 10 X 6 X 0.2 inches. It weighs about 4.8 ounces when boxed for shipping. That means it’s even lighter at hand.
- Construction: The 6 play blade allows you to take shots more responsively. You can be more responsive to aggressive gameplay. But the idea is to hold your ground and make your opponent go for the aggression so that you can come back at them with your agile responsiveness.
- Performance Rating: The performance rating on this bad boy is something like this. Speed- 90, Spin-92, Control-89. The fact about control is that lightweight paddles are a bit hard to control. They tend to move faster than usual.
- Stiga ACS control for Control and speed
- The rubber is ITTF approved
- Has 6 ply blade
- Provides a balanced performance
- Lacks power
- Forces to play defensive
If you’re looking forward to spending some money on a model that is actually used by professional players then this is the right choice for you. The Killerspin Jet800 is actually a sparring paddle for many professionals. It provides offensive and tournament like gameplay experience. So, that’s why it’s acceptable for professionals. Also, the price is a concern too. You don’t see professionals playing with cheap paddles, do you?
It has a 7 ply blade with carbon fiber layers for extra durability and for returning aggressive shots even more aggressively. The lightweight allows you to be quick as a cat while returning shots and some extra spin to return the shot with love. A total element of surprise.
The only problem this one has is the price. Clearly, it’s better than the one we selected. You can understand the preference of the professionals. But the real problem is that you are paying more than you’re asking for. That’s why it’s not recommended.
- Build Quality: 7 ply blades with carbon fiber layers gives you less weight and more speed. The rubber is specially constructed. In short, it’s built for high-quality performance even for a normal game.
- Enhanced Accuracy: The 7 ply blade provides an enhanced accuracy level to the paddle. The accuracy gives you an extra edge towards any opponent. Thus you get to return shots just to the right place.
- Size and Weight: It measures at 6.1 X 6 X 0.5 inches. This measurement is actually tournament worth. Also, it weighs only 9.2 ounces. Slightly higher than other paddles but better weight gives you better control.
- It’s a professional-grade paddle
- Has a 7 ply blade with 2 layers of carbon fiber
- Very accurate for return shots
- Enhanced controlling
- A bit over-priced
Stiga Evolution is a professional level tournament playing paddle. Because of its best in class control to speed ratio, people find it very comfortable to play with. You can play a very aggressive and offensive game but never lose control if you know what you’re doing with the paddle. This paddle will help you a lot.
Made with 6 light wood plies it is made using Stiga’s professional paddle manufacturing technology. Stiga is undeniably the best ping pong paddle manufacturers in the game. And this one is their performance to price ratio product. So, what you can do is expect a lot from it and surely it will serve.
If you’re a close table player and want to defend the aggressive shots that are coming towards you with quick response, this is the ultimate friend for you. It really is hard to return a good offensive shot for any skillful player. But if you have the skill and this guy at hand, you will miss rarely.
- Size and Weight: 12 x 7.3 x 2.8 inches is the packaging measurement, but it feels very good at hand. I called it a friend because it’ll feel like that way. Also, it weighs about 7 ounces.
- Construction: It’s made of 6 plies of light wood. The rubber is ITTF approved tournament graded. The sponge of the rubber surface is 2 mm. So, the balls will not be bouncing off. Rather you’ll be pointing them the directions.
- Designed for Control: If we make a list of the best 5 paddles from Stiga, by “we”, I meant all the reviewers, this one will be present there because of its controlling abilities. So, it’s rather a fruitful choice for defensive players.
- 6 plies, made with light wood.
- Lightweight and agile
- Good for defensive gameplay
- Great control
- The speed might seem uncontrollable at first.
Killerspin RTG Diamond TC Premium Table Tennis Racket
If your question is that which racket has the best build quality and best for a powerful spin, this one is the one you’re looking for. But the fact is that the name is saying a lot of things, one of them is that it’s quite expensive, to be honest. So, if you’re not into too expensive paddles, you may skip to the next product and save your time. But those who are willing to stay and read, I request them to read well because this is one hell of a professional paddle. This must be the only paddle that has actually been used in tournaments.
It has 7 plies; two of them are made with Titanium Carbon fiber. This makes the paddle very much accurate and powerful altogether. The carbon fiber plies are built in to provide less weight and better power with better accuracy. So, you’re actually looking at one of the well-constructed paddles in the list right now.
Killerspin is actually famous for making premium paddles. This paddle comes with a memorabilia box, where you can keep scores and actually store signatures from your favorite players. Also, it’s a very good safety option for your paddle.
- Size and Weight: 6 x 6 1/4″ is the measurement it has. It weighs about 8 ounces. Which is not really much in case of tournament paddles. They weigh a lot more. People like weighty paddle because they are built for better control and accuracy. So, you can expect accuracy from this guy.
- Construction: This one is made with 7 plies with two of them made with titanium carbon fiber. The titanium carbon fiber adds the extra edge it needs to be a premium one. It has professional-grade Fortissimo Rubber which helps you with powerful spins.
- Enhanced Accuracy: The ratings for the paddle are Control-8.2, Spin-9.4, and Speed 10.0. So you can see that the spin and the speed have a combination. But it might seem a little hard to control and first but as long as you get the hang of it, you’ll love it.
- Weight is optimal
- Built for accuracy
- The construction is “state of the art”
- Comes with a personal memory book
- A bit pricy
- Quite hard to handle at first
JOOLA Spinforce Professional Table Tennis Racket
Now let’s introduce you to a bit offensive series of paddles. The Joola Spinforce is the optimal paddles for a daunting offense. What you would do with this one you might ask. The answer is that you would dominate your opponent consistently throughout the game. So, pumped enough? Let’s know more.
It has a 7 ply blade with light wood. Joola has introduced to us their new 2.0mm thick infinity rubber which is acceptable for its spin tactics. Joola paddles were accused of not spinning, but they have drastically improved from then.
It has a flared handle which is very comfortable to grab and lets you have better grip towards the upper side of the paddle. You’ll be glad to know that Joola is actually the sponsor of the American Olympic team. So, you’ll be playing with the same paddle brand they sue if you buy this one for yourself. Let’s know the features to see if you can buy this one or not.
- Construction: The Joola Spinforce has a flared handle and the upper body part consist of 7 layers of wood. The rubber is called the infinity rubber which is actually produced at their factories. The infinity rubber is ITTF approved.
- Size and Weight: It has a total size of 10 x 6 x 1 inch and weighs about 10.4 ounces. The weight gives you extra benefit to playing offensive strokes as it put the extra pressure on the ball and the rubber adds the extra spin.
- Speed Accelerated Gameplay: If you thrive speed in your game, you should buy this one because it’s actually used by players to improve their speed at practice. So, you’ll see an increase in speed. But it’s quite hard to control for those who are new to the game.
- Design is great
- It has a good build quality
- The rubber is very soft
- Speed-oriented gameplay
- Hard to control for newcomers.
Palio Legend 2.0
The Palio Legend 2 is the fruit of a co-operation between Palio and Expert Table Tennis. The collaboration is exclusive. The main idea of the collaboration was to create the best paddle in the least cost. Believe me, they have but maybe not the best, yet one of the best paddles that are available at the market now.
The Palio Hadou rubber remains, it is actually a good rubber to play shots with spin and power. The rubber is already approved by ITTF. If they were to come up with new rubber, they would have to wait till ITTF approved it, that’s why they went for the remaining rubber. But it’s a good rubber for gameplay.
The blades were redesigned by Palio and ETT to make sure they give exceptional performance. But it costed a setback. The setback was that the controls became down. One of the reasons why it’s so down at the list is that the control. It became really hard to control this paddle for beginners.
- Build Quality: Palio and ETT both are exceptional ping pong accessories makers. When they collaborated, they made one of the best paddles for speed and spin. So, we can easily say the Palio X ETT build quality is great. It consists best from both.
- Size and Weight: The measurement of the Patio Legend 2 is 11 x 7.3 x 1 inch. It weighs about 9.1ounces which is pretty optimal.
- Enhanced Spin and Speed: The idea was to make the best paddle of them all at the lowest of cost. The experiment wasn’t 100% successful. But what they achieved is remarkable. The spin and speed are great.
- The paddle uses Hadou rubber
- Weight is very optimal
- It has great spin and speed
- The control is quite awkward to handle.
I have given you the verdict on which paddle is the best for you to play with. Let me remind you again. If you’re willing to go with my suggestion, the best paddle for you to buy would be the Stiga Carbon pro. It’s the best selling paddle of this year and the previous year. So, if you buy it, you will never be disappointed.
But another suggestion is that you should read the whole article, compare each and every paddle and find what kind of player you are. Thus you’ll be able to take your decisions by yourself in the future. The main purpose of the article is to make you understand how you can choose a paddle all by yourself.
Some won’t even bother reading the article up to the final thought part. But if you’re reading, I’m sure the next time, you won’t read any reviews, you’ll directly compare yourself and buy your own paddle.
Now you know which paddle is best for you. So, don’t waste time. Just buy the best ping pong paddle right now and start playing!